12.Nakshatra Uttara Phalguni
Uttara Phalguni (sanskrit: उत्तर फाल्गुनी) — the Star of Patronage;
- Range: 26°40' Leo — 10°00' Virgo
- Symbol: two back legs of a bed
- Deity: Aryaman
- Mode of Functioning: Balanced
- Caste: Kshatriya
- Gender: Female
- Body parts: Lips, Sex Organs and the Left Hand
- Humor (Ayurvedic Constitution): Vata
- Direction: east and south.
- Guna (Essence): Rajas
- Tattwa (Element): Fire
- Gana (Type): Manushya (human)
- Orientation: Downward
- Disposition: Dhruva (fixed or permanent)
- Ruling Planet: Sun
- Sounds: Tay, To, Pa, Pee
- Animal symbol: Cow
- Primary Motivation: Moksha
- Enemy: Purva Bhadrapada
1. The first pada or quarter of this asterism (26° 40' — 30° 00' Leo) falls in Sagittarius Navamsa ruled by Jupiter. This pada relates to the Jupiterian side of the solar nature. It is like a Sun/Jupiter conjunction and gives a strongly ethical nature along with an advisory capacity. Planets placed here give fortunate, expansive results as long as they are in good Shashtiamsha.
2. The second pada or quarter of this asterism (00° 00' — 3° 20' Virgo) falls in Capricorn Navamsa ruled by Saturn. This pada is akin to a Sun/Mercury/Saturn conjunction and gives a tremendous organizational ability. Planets placed here usually give very good material results and a practical, hardworking nature.
3. The third pada or quarter of this asterism (3° 20' — 6° 40' Virgo) falls in Aquarius Navamsa ruled by Saturn. This pada relates to the Philanthropic side of Uttaraphalguni. The keyword here is Service. The intellectual abilities are Sharp here and are usually used for the social good. Planets placed in this pada tend to work in a Robin hood fashion.
4. The fourth pada or quarter of this asterism (6° 40' — 10° 00' Virgo) falls in Pisces Navamsa ruled by Jupiter. This pada is akin to a Sun/Mercury/Jupiter conjunction. Out here the intellectual abilities are always utilized for seeing the bigger picture and relating to others. A balance between the small and the big, matter and spirit, Virgo and Pisces is sought here. Since this is a Pushkara navamsa pada, planets placed here give strong, favourable results on a material as well as spiritual plane.
Lunar Month and Day
It relates to the second half of the lunar month of Phalguna, which usually corresponds to the month of March in the solar calendar.
Uttaraphalguni is also related to the Dvadashi (12th tithi or day) of the waxing and waning phases of the Moon's monthly cycle.
Sun is the planetary ruler of this nakshatra. The solar aspect of nature comes into manifestation in the earlier nakshatra, Krittika. Uttaraphalguni relates to the process where the solar principle affects and organizes the material world, just like Sun's rays can cook food in a solar cooker. The primordial solar principle manifests as willpower in Krittika, but it takes the form of intelligence in Uttaraphalguni, with the aid of Mercury.
Mercury is associated with Uttaraphalguni, due to the fact that a major part of Uttaraphalguni lies in Virgo, a sign ruled by Mercury. Uttaraphalguni is all about the linking between soul and intellect. Under this nakshatra's influence, the solar energy is directed towards actual practical work in order to achieve certain goals which the soul has set for itself, and also help out others along the way as well. Just as all living life on our planet is dependant upon Sun's rays, all society and civilization is dependant upon the guidance of this nakshatra.
Sun/Mercury conjunction in a horoscope carries energies similar to Uttaraphalguni. Friends of Sun like Moon, Mercury, Mars & Jupiter do well here; while Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu feel obstructed here, especially Venus, due to its in debilitation in the Virgo part of this nakshatra.
Creative Artists, Musicians, Entertainers; Superstars & Male Sex Symbols; Managers; Leaders of all types & Public Figures like Sport Superstars; Those in high positions and held in esteem by others; Media & Entertainment industy; Priests; Heads of organizations; Mafia Dons; Teachers & Preachers; Philanthropists; Astrologers; Marriage Counsellors; Sex Therapists; Professions connected to United Nations; International Diplomats; Founding fathers and other Patriotic Figures; Bankers & Creditors; Social Workers; Professional Advisors in all fields.
Uttaraphalguni is highly flexible in regards to professions and can be seen in a variety of professions as long as it is in a commanding position.
Forests; Gardens; Estates; Public Buildings; Government Buildings; Stadiums; Entertainment Halls; Residences of Rich & Famous People; Palaces, Towers, Large Halls; Playgrounds; Cathedrals & other magnificent buildings; Public Assemblies; United Nation's Buildings; Libraries.
Favourable for sexual activity and marriage; Generally auspicious for beginning all things of a lasting nature like organizations, societies, etc.; Good for marriage and sexual activity; Good for dealing with higher authorities; Good for administrative actions of all types; Buying property or entering a new home for the first time; Openings/inauguration ceremonies & swearing-ins; Making promises; Performing sacred ceremonies & rituals; Wearing new clothes and jewellery; Acts of charity; Career related activities; Paternal activities; Good for activities requiring tact and diplomacy.
Unfavourable for endings of all types; Not good for harsh activities like confrontation, retaliation or engaging with enemies; Not good for lending money if you are expecting it back.
Lips and mouth, sexual organs, hands and arms, skin sensitivities, digestive trouble.
Repetition of the root mantras of this nakshatra - "Om Chham" and "Om Jam" 108 times when Moon transits this nakshatra and in its corresponding lunar month, is sure to reduce suffering and bring enlightenment into a person's life.
Persons who are benefiting from the positive energy of this nakshatra can also increase the good effects through the above mentioned ways. It is helpful for them to wear all red, white, green and golden shades. The shade should be neither too bright, nor too dull, but fall somewhere in between. They should use its directions, lunar month and the days when Moon transits Uttaraphalguni to undertake all important actions.
- Dennis M. Harness. Nakshastras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology. — Lotus Press, 1999. — 216 p. — ISBN 0-914955-83-7 — ISBN 978-0 914955-83-2
- Prash Trivedi. The Book of Nakshatras. A Comprehensive Treatise on the 27 Constellations. — Sagar Publications, 2009. — 488 p. — ISBN 8-170820-58-8 — ISBN 978-8170820-58-1