13. Nakshatra Hasta
Hasta (sanskrit: हस्त) — the Hand;
- Range: 10°00' — 23°20' Virgo
- Symbol: a hand with all five fingers spread-eagled, a clenched fist, a potter's wheel
- Deity: Savitar
- Mode of Functioning: Passive
- Caste: Vaishya
- Gender: Male
- Body parts: Hands
- Humor (Ayurvedic Constitution): Vata
- Direction: east, south, north and northwest
- Guna (Essence): Rajas
- Tattwa (Element): Fire
- Gana (Type): Devaox godly
- Orientation: Level
- Disposition: Light and Swift
- Ruling Planet: Moon
- Sounds: Pu, Sha, Nu, Tu
- Animal symbol: Buffalo
- Primary Motivation: Moksha
- Enemy: Shatabhisha
1. The first pada or quarter of this asterism (10° 00' — 13°20' Virgo) falls in Aries Navamsa and is ruled by Mars. This pada gives abundant energy and makes one an expert at underhanded activities. Mathematical, Military and Surgical skills are enhanced here. A well placed Mars or Sun are strongest in this pada.
2. The second pada or quarter of this asterism (13° 20' — 16° 40' Virgo) falls in Taurus Navamsa ruled by Venus. The emphasis here is on down to earth practicality. Planets here seek material arrangement and perfection as their dharma. Honesty and morality are more developed here in comparison to other padas. This pada Supports artistic activities. A well placed Mercury, Venus and Saturn give good results here.
3. The third pada or quarter of this asterism (16° 40' — 20° 00' Virgo) falls in Gemini Navamsa ruled by Mercury. This is the pada of the merchant, trader and business person. Emphasis here is on career. This is the most dexterous and clever amongst Hasta's padas. Well placed Mercury here gives extraordinary perception and intelligence.
4. The fourth pada or quarter of this asterism (20° 00' — 23° 20' Virgo) falls in Cancer Navamsa ruled by Moon. The focus here is on family life and communal co-existence. This pada promises material security but at the same time promotes suspicion towards anything foreign. The best and worst of Hasta manifests through this pada. Only a well placed Jupiter gives strong results here especially in regards to having good progeny.
Lunar Month and Day
It relates to the first 9 days of the lunar month of Chaitra, which usually falls in late March.
Hasta is also related to the Dvadashi (12th tithi or day) of the waxing and waning phases of the moons monthly cycle.
The main planetary influences affecting this nakshatra are Moon and Mercury. Moon is the main ruling planet of Hasta. Moon imparts emotions, care and sensitivity to this nakshatra. It is this lunar influence which makes Hasta a doyen of home and family life. When working through its lower functioning, all the negative aspects of lunar energy like ultra conservatism, bigotry, fickleness, excessive attachment and inability to let ho takes centre stag. However unlike Cancer, the lunar nature here is under supervision of Mercury, the planet of discrimination. Mercury's influence makes Hasta jovial and lighthearted thus saving it from the type of depression people with prominent Cancer placements go through. Hasta's discriminatory power also allows it to navigate its way through the waters of life more efficiently as compared to its nakshatra's counterpart in Cancer, Ashiesha.
Ashiesha and Hasta are the only two nakshatras where the energies of Moon and Mercury combine, the only difference being that Moon is the king in Ashiesha, while Mercury has the final say in Hasta. This means that intellect rules over the mind in Hasta, which is obviously the way universe prefers it. Moon can perceive but not derive conclusions, which is Mercury's doing. It is Mercury which guides the Moon while it is Moon which nurtures Mercury. Hasta is all about this interplay between Moon and Mercury.
Artisans; Manual Labourers; All professions requiring dexterity of hand; Mechanics; Jewellery makers; Origami Experts; Acrobats, Gymnasts and Circus performers; Fairy Tale Writers; Those involved in the invention and production of daily Utility items; Inventors in general; Publishing & Printing Industry; Stage Magicians; Swindlers; Pickpockets; Stock Brokers; Packaging Industry; Paper Industry; Manicurists; All people working in share and stock markets; Casino dealers; Toy Makers; Carpenters; Professional Gamblers; Bookies; Small Shop Owners, Market Sellers, Small Scale Trade Persons, and Business men in all fields; Clerks; Bankers; Accountants; Typists; Cleaners; Housekeepers; Servants; Masseurs; Doctors; Physiotherapists; Chemical & Toiletry Industry; Textile industry; Tarot Card Readers; Palmists; Psychics; Astrologers; Auctioneers; Pottery & Ceramic industry; Inferior decorators; Gardeners; Farmers & Agriculturalists; All professions connected with Food Production, Processing and Distribution Industry; Barbers, Hairdressers & Stylists; Sculptors; Masons; Those connected with Amusement Parks; Sales Persons in all fields; Professional Comedians; Satirical Novelists; Radio & Television Commentators; Speech Therapists; Newsreaders; Martial Artists; Forgers; Thieves; Robbers dealing with opening safes; All street smart professions in general.
Agricultural Fields; Grazing Pastures; Home Gardens; Art & Craft Studios; MarketPlace; Stock Exchange (Wall Street etc.); Casinos; Betting Shops; Amusement parks; Fairgrounds; Factories; In general, places connected with the above professions.
Good for most activities done under the Sun; Arts & Crafts; Activities that stimulate laughter; All types of hobbies especially things like pottery and jewellery making; Planting seeds and Gardening in general; Domestic Work; Studying sciences & Astrology; Learning Languages; All activities requiring hand skills and repetition; Magic Tricks; Playing games; All business activities requiring tact & shrewdness; Good for marriage; Buying & Selling, especially items like grains, textiles etc.; Good for getting a good bargain; Dealing with children; Thievery; Holistic treatments of diseases; Travel & Change of Residence.
Planning longterm goals and objectives; Sexual Activity; Does not support Relaxation or Inactivity; Unfavourable for all activities requiring executive ability and maturity; Not good for most nighttime activities.
Sensitive nervous system, bowels, colon problems, dysentery, colds and allergies, skin imitations, hands.
One can strengthen this nakshatra's good qualities by worshipping the Sun as a creative force, at sunrise. All the remedial measures normally associated with the Sun can be applied to this nakshatra (See author's previous work - "Sun, The Cosmic Powerhouse", Sagar Publications, India).
Worship of Vishnu or any of Vishnu's incarnations is a way of getting in touch with the higher energies of this nakshatra. Repetition of the root mantras of this nakshatra - "Om Jham" and "Om Nyam" 108 times when Moon transits this nakshatra and in its corresponding lunar month is sure to reduce suffering and bring enlightenment into a persona life.
Persons who are benefiting from the positive energy of this nakshatra can also increase the good effects through the above mentioned ways. It is helpful for them to wear all lighter shades especially green. White is also good. Avoid bright shades. They should use its directions, lunar month and the days when Moon transits Hasta to undertake all important actions.
- Dennis M. Harness. Nakshastras: The Lunar Mansions of Vedic Astrology. — Lotus Press, 1999. — 216 p. — ISBN 0-914955-83-7 — ISBN 978-0 914955-83-2
- Prash Trivedi. The Book of Nakshatras. A Comprehensive Treatise on the 27 Constellations. — Sagar Publications, 2009. — 488 p. — ISBN 8-170820-58-8 — ISBN 978-8170820-58-1